Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Phi and Pi

I have been working on Pi for some time, and I am finding very exciting discoveries that may be appealing to some people. Well, while working on this "irrational" number, I stumbled upon some new properties of the circle, which can be considered Pi since Pi is the fundamental number of this unique shape. Now, I found a big connection between Pi and Phi, which is also called the golden ratio, the golden mean, and the divine proportion. First, let me tell what each one is before I get to telling about me discoveries.

So, what is Pi, you ask? Well, if you are in Geometry(which, I have to admit, is a very interesting subject), you might have been taught equations that are linked to Pi, such as 2πr, which helps you figure out the diameter of a circle. This helps in many cases, but I won't talk about that right now. Now, let me talk about Phi.

Phi is considered to be one of the most mysterious numbers in the world as we know it. It was first discovered by the great Mathematician, Fibonacci, which is why it is called the Fibonacci sequence, which is the continuence of the numbers 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, ect. If you were to divide each number by another number within this sequence, biggest number on top, you would get a closer approximation to Phi, or the golden ratio. In turn, if you were to map out these numbers, you would get what would be called the golden rectangle, or the golden spiral. Now, on to talking about my discovery, which is in the below image:


Now, in the Trihecwazoid, there are exactly 37 points. Now, since there are 8 points around the outside of this shape, you would divide 37 by 8, and you would get the decimal 4.625. Now, since there are 4 points surrounded this shape also, you would subtract 4.625 by 4, and you would get 0.625, now follow the process below:


1 + 0.625 = 1.625

1 / 1.625 = 0.61538461538461538461538461538462

Equation:

1 + n = s

1 / s


You would do this until you get the number that is approximate to Phi, which is 1.618...

That is my discovery. I will continue my research.

No comments:

Post a Comment